Spitze Legislative Internship Financial Support: Summer 2017 Application – for Legislative Internships
College of Agricultural & Life Sciences and School of Human Ecology
The College of Agricultural and Life Sciences is pleased to announce the Robert and Hazel Spitze Legislative Internship Program. This award is associated with a student acquired internship. The opportunity will help student interns experience the unique processes of the Legislative branch of government and will help them better understand the theories of participatory economic and political policy development at the State and Federal levels.
To be eligible for financial support students must:
1. Current enrollment in a degree program in the University of Wisconsin – Madison College of
2. Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) or the School of Human Ecology (SoHE).
3. At least a Junior standing at UW‐Madison and completion of one year in CALS or SoHE.
4. Cumulative GPA of at least a BC (2.5 on a 4 point scale).
5. Evidence of special interest in public policy as part of a career; generally including having completed at least one course in political science, law, public policy or related subject matter.
6. Must obtain an internship opportunity with the legislative branch of state or federal government and register for at least one credit in an internship course.
7. Provide confirmation from internship supervisor, stating the terms (timeframe and nature of work) of internship. This confirmation (on organization letterhead) can be emailed to Megan O’Rourke, CALS Career Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject Line: Spitze Legislative Internship Financial Support – Verification
8. To receive funds, students must be enrolled for at least 1 credit at time of financial support payout.
Please complete online application by Monday, April 24 at 4:30pm. Applicants will be notified during final exams week or sooner.
Academic Credit for Internships Options:
· CALS major departments offer 399 course options. Please see your academic or faculty advisor for instructions on enrollment.
· Inter-L&S 260: Internship credit course offered to ALL UW students. Details here. NOTE: Their website will be updated soon for summer 2017 enrollment.